I saw this post on Ten June blog way back when and immediately knew I wanted to make one of my very own (with a twist, of course):
When we first moved into the home we had to fix the drywall in the basement, so I bought a huge bundle of long wood shims and had a ton left over. Also, in our old apartment I had a bunch of little circle mirrors from Target hanging in our bedroom but then once we moved they got put in a closet until further notice. Put those babies together and you’ve got a F-R-E-E DIY project! My favorite!
I made a square base of three (approximately) 6-inch long wood shims to start with, then I slowly layered on more shims throughout the day. I put about 2-3 at a time, then weighed it down with a heavy book for an hour to dry, then repeated that step over and over until it was finished. It’s about 3 piles deep, so only about 2 inches thick when all is said and done. I let it dry completely overnight for 2 days before the next step:
I lightly sanded the whole piece just to get stray splinters off, but I was going for a sort of weathered/reclaimed look so I didn’t make it perfectly smooth. Unfortunately it rained for a week so I resorted to priming with regular paint instead of my BFF Kilz spray primer, and while I was at it I primed a few other things I had on my to-do list.
The next day it cleared up enough for me to spray on 3 thin coats of pure white Rustoleum spray paint in a satin finish.
Once the spray paint was dry I used a hot glue gun to attach the mirror to the front and Gorilla Glue to attach the hook to the back. The hook was just the original backing to the mirror that I scraped off to reuse.
Here she blows:
And a little farther away:
On the wall itself it’s a bit small, but paired with the zebra chairs and gallery wall it adds the right amount of oomph for the space:
A few months later I decided it needed a little more va-voom so I spraypainted it aqua and then glazed it with black (read about that process here), then I drew some wallpaper onto the wall with a Sharpie paint pen (read about that process here):