Well look at that, barely a week into June and I’ve already fulfilled my Pinterest Food Challenge! Holler. To be fair, I had promised these cupcakes as a dessert for a bridal shower months ago so it was happening whether or not there was a challenge.
My first challenge did not really include a recipe so there’s a few things I should mention here since we’re charting new territory:
- I hate following recipes. They’re so restrictive, they’re so boring. I prefer to throw in a dash of this and that whenever I please!
- My grandmother and I are both notorious for forgetting entire ingredients, probably due to the fact that we weren’t correctly following the recipe in the first place. There has been more then one occasion where cookies have been in the oven and the eggs were still uncracked on the counter.
- I am awesome at making desserts- I’m a far better baker then a chef. Coincidentally, I’m lucky I don’t weight 500 pounds.
But anyway- on to the cupcakes! The original recipe for both the cupcake and the frosting is here if you want to take a look. I actually didn’t deviate much at all because I’ve never made these before and didn’t want to mess it up.
To make the cake part of the recipe:
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 package vanilla intant pudding
- 3 tbsp pink lemonade powder (I used Country Time brand)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp lemon zest (if you don’t have a zester, you can used a cheese grater!)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- pink food coloring (or you know, red and blue food coloring mixed)
- a splash of lemon juice!
Whisk cake mix, pudding mix, and drink mix together. Add sour cream, zest, water, oil, and eggs. You can use an electric mixer at this point, but I just continued whisking by hand until it was smooth and free of clumps.
To make the frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened (I used salt free sticks)
- 1 cup shortening (I used margarine)
- 1/2 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest from 1 lemon (I also threw in another splash of lemon juice)
- 2 pound package confectioners sugar (equal 7.5 cups)
- pink food coloring
Cream together the butter and shortening then add in the lemonade concentrate, milk, vanilla, and zest. You can either whisk it together or use an electric mixer as you slowlyyyyy add in the sugar.
Spoon your cupcake batter into their tins until they’re about 3/4 full then bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Make sure they are COMPLETELY cooled before you frost them- I actually refrigerated both the cupcakes and frosting and frosted them the next day.
To decorate, either use candy lemon wedges or straws!
Have you made any any Pinterest recipes lately? Share in the comments or link up to your own post! And be sure to check out all of my Pinterest Boards!