Ughhhh the wedding planning. I hates it. I’m getting more on board with it, but I really just don’t find it interesting.
Immediately after we got engaged we created an initial guest list, and in my opinion it was outrageously long (somewhere around 165 people). Since then I’ve cut it down to a slightly more reasonable 129, and hopefully I can still find a few cuts in there over the next year. My list is super organized into the following columns:
- Matt’s family member, then their relation to him
- My family member, then our relation to them
- Our friends, notes on them
It’s arranged so that any point in time one of our family members (ahem, mothers) could look at it an understand why any other person on it was included.But that’s not all!
- Anyone removed from the spreadsheet was placed on a separate tab in case we want to reconsider them in the future
- Anyone that I’m inviting but I doubt will attend is highlighted in gray (7 people)
- Anyone that might be invited to a shower if I decide to have one is highlighted in yellow (38 people)
Starting today and throughout the rest of the week, my goal is to create another spreadsheet in regards to budget to have reviewed by some friends and families. It’ll be just a blank template that I can fill in along the way (see mom, I do listen to your suggestions!!). There’s probably a bunch of costs I don’t even know about (marriage licenses? other legal things?) so before we can really say we have a finalized guest list and venue, we need to know what we can afford in the first place.
I also started a Pinterest board to gather some more fun ideas and thoughts. Here’s a few (click the image to go to its’ origin page):
So really, if you have tips on wedding planning, help a sister out 🙂
Edited to add:
Since writing this, we made sooo many more cuts and changes. In fact, we ended up having a teeny wedding with under 30 people. SO much more my speed. HERE‘s 5 things we didn’t do (and the world did not crumble beneath us!) and HERE‘S things that we decided to keep on the list (and they were all lovely).
This post was written for the following series: