Let me first say, that I love my built in. One of the main things that made me buy this house is all the little nooks and crannies that give it so much character. That being said, I treat this nook like a dumping ground. It’s always just pure chaos in there.
But no more! I took literally everything out of there and sorted it all into piles:
- things that don’t belong on these shelf (toys, curtains, hoarded packaging)
- tissue paper
- gift bags (Christmas, then all other)
- tape, ribbons, ties
- wrapping paper
- fleece blankets
My family throws away nothing. My entire tissue paper stash is just used tissue paper from gifts I’ve gotten throughout the years, the same goes with all of my gift bags and ribbons. The same goes for most of my blankets and pillows (with the exception of 2 lovely afghans made as housewarming gifts). And I donate stuff to Big Brother Big Sister at least every 3 months, but I still have a ton.
Anyway, after it was sorted, back in it went!
I didn’t go out and spend any money on organizational supplies, and it’s still not pretty, but it’s much more functional and I can actually find things now.
On the top shelf:
- a comforter bag full of fleece blankets (unseen)
- a comforter bag full of miscellaneous throw pillows
- 3 hand made afghans
- an extra sheet
Note: I have blankets and pillows literally all over the house. This collection doesn’t even include quilts, comforters, and throws. Oye.
On the bottom shelf:
- The purple box holds tape, ribbons ties, and tags
- The stand up bags are for any time of year
- The pile on the right is stacked Christmas bags on the bottom, then tissue paper, then the Target bag is birthday and Christmas gifts I’ve already purchased
- Up against the back wall is wrapping paper and cellophane (which I rarely use)
Note: This is just where gift bags are. I have another section for paper bags. And another section for plastic bags. Also, I have a problem with the collection of bags.
Hooray! This took under 30 minutes and makes my life so much easier.
THE TAKE AWAY’S:
- Start with a clean slate. If you want to organize an area of your house, clear it out completely then make piles and put things back with a purpose
- If you’ve had something for a year and you’ve never used it, you can probably throw it away
- Make a pile of things that can be put away somewhere better and more useful.
This post written as part of the following series: