I’m sure with holiday events all this month this won’t be my only Pinterest Food Challenge plate, but it’ll certainly be hard to top!
We all pin so many ideas and recipes, but let’s take some action people! At least once a month, cook or bake something that you pinned and link it in the comments!
The original recipe is by Martha Stewart but I don’t have fancy things like saucepans or casserole dishes with quart measurements on them, and I don’t know how to pronounce Gruyere (a cheese?) so I couldn’t even ask for it in the store if I wanted to… and so I altered it to my own (delicious) dish.
You will need:
- 6 slices wheat bread, crusts removed, torn into small chunks
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of unsalted butter
- 5 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 pound (=1 box) of elbow macaroni
- Heat the oven to 375* and spray or butter a 9×13 pan
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a medium mixing bowl (I melted it in the microwave) then add the bread chunks and toss lightly. Set aside.
- Heat your 5 cups of milk (I used a wok, because for some reason I have one) and simultaneously melt your remaining 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pot. Once the butter is bubbling add in the flour and milk then whisk mixture for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat. Once removed from heat add 3 cups of the cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the shredded parmesan. Stir in and set aside.
- Fill another pot with water and boil your box of macaroni until it’s just a bit underdone then drain it in a colander and rinse with cold water. Add the macaroni to your delicious cheesy mixture, mix together, then pour into your baking pan (it will be liquid-y, don’t panic!). Sprinkle the remaining 1.5 cups of cheddar and 1 cup of parmesan on top, then spread the bread chunks on top of that.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes (until browned on top), let cool for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!