Listen friends, I know as a married gal of (gulp) 30 you might expect me to start making some babies. But I’m totally not doing that and we just went ahead and got another dog instead.
So now we have 3 cats and 2 dogs. And maybe we have lost our minds. But we freaking love animals, and how could you possibly resist this face?
Meet Ichabod, formerly Banjo, the newest addition to Little Green House! We adopted him through Lucky Lab Rescue and Adoption, the same place our other dog came from four years ago.
Ichabod is a bundle of energy, a huge difference from Dutch The Laziest Dog Ever, and we are having so much fun with him! Everyone is settling in, getting a long, and relearning their place in the pack- including us humans! 🙂
With 5 animals in the house I am now more cautious then ever to make sure our house is odor and clutter free. I prefer that when people say “You have 5 pets? Really?” it’s because they are genuinely surprised, and not thinking “Obviously. It stinks in here.”
So, here’s a few tips:
- Store all pet supplies in a piece of actual furniture, so everything (including leashes) is hidden away at all times but still easy to get to. The cats get a shelf, the dogs get a shelf and a drawer (and the bottom drawer stores vases/accessories I use on the first floor).
- Hide the litter box, whenever possible. Check out my DIY solution here. We keep the DIY version in the living room, then a litter box in Matt’s office, and one in the guest room (rooms generally not used when we have people over).
- Keep bowls and dishes clean and stylish. I built Dutch’s pet stand (here), we got Ichabod a nice metal one, and PetSafe® sent us this amazing 100oz Drinkwell® Sedona Pet Fountain.
Sidenote: This founatin is awesome, especially with the amount of pets we have. It blends in, holds a ton of water, and is even filtered. These pets live better than me! Read more and buy your own here.
- Tuck the pet food away in a closet. I keep the cat food in rolling tupperware in the coat closet, and the dog food in a large tupperware in my closet- so it’s not out in the open (THIS one for the cats, THIS one for the dogs)*
- Sweep daily, vacuum 2-3 times a week, and steam mop once every 1-2 weeks (THIS steam mop is the bomb dot com)*. I know this is a lot, but there are 7 mammals in our house now and that is a LOT of hair and allergens.
How many pets do you have? And how do you keep everything clean and organized?
PetSafe provided me with the water dish free of charge, but I opted to include it in this post because it really is amazing and well made. As always, I only endorse products I love and use myself.
*denotes affiliate link